Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In Dilli (4,500 miles from Nottingham)


On the balcony
sat on cane chair in sunshine
whilst people make plans

Rash
We are such intrepid travellers that we have left everything useful in Serampore, thinking we were being reet clever taking little bags. Delhi is colder than we expected, all we came with was flip flops and thin tops. Jumpers are definitely needed. Everyone (meaning my assorted aunts and uncles) is shocked and horrified at our madness and tells us we can’t go to Agra (Taj Mahal city, gonna do a daytrip tomorrow) dressed like that. My dad gave me some rupees and told me to go get proper shoes and not come back without. So we went to Janpath… shoppers’ paradise. And I don’t even like shopping.
Ah well, you have to learn from these things.

Ana
Our first day in Delhi, we already visited another member of Rasheeqa’s family, this is making me feel like one ambassador with all this social life!!!!!!!!
The second day was the first time that the ‘three sisters’ (including myself, as now I’m one member more of this huge and lovely Indian family) have gone out by ourselves, we did a bit of seesights, visiting the Lotus Temple, a bit of shopping in Janpath, and ended up meeting Saira’s friend and going to a place where we could drink a few beers!!!! Yeah!!! I think we needed that, the last time we had alcohol was on the plane going to Bombay!!!!!!!
Tomorrow we are going to Moradabad, Rasheeqa’s dad’s village, apparently it’s about more than 20 people living in this house where we will be staying - see what happens…….

Saira
Complete & utter madness if u ask me. Lots of crazy Indians, FOOD, endless discussions about the different possible ways of doing things… the Spaniard has completely blended in with the paki parade, eating curry with her hands & hanging out with Sikhs, Muslims & Hindus alike! Fantastic. Bring on the over-sweet tea, billions of people & toilets in the ground… Salaam a’leikum!

No comments: